Writing this on a Sunday night, I realised that I have washed my hair 3 times and showered at least 6 times over the weekend! Why? That was cos of the intense workout session I had on Saturday, where I did a swim in the morning, weights session in the afternoon, followed by cycling in the evening.
Tired man, I woke up today achy but in a good way. By the afternoon, my quads were on fire! Ditto the glutes and arms but not as badly though. So as much as I don’t want to wash hair, I can’t cos I don’t want to end up stinky… and I love having soft and nice smelling hair AND I don’t want people to faint in the mrt.
But swimming can really damage hair! plus I recently coloured my hair quite a few times this year so it ended up not as soft as before. Anyway, here’s how I managed to keep the damage to a minimum..
What I think my hair looks like
what my hair really looks like
What I use:
Sunsilk for the longest time although on occasion, I try other brands but so far my hair kinda likes this the best. So I was pretty happy that they invited me to their pop up salon a few weeks ago for some hair styling plus tips on how to keep my hair healthy.
must have been telling them about the woes of chlorinated water…
I really enjoyed the hair styling session as I am the kind who hardly even styles or combs her hair, haha. So guyish I know. I think they really should have more of these pop up salons more often, where not only the girls but the lads can have their hair styled in a jiffy while on a trip out in town. Haha maybe for those who just came out of the gym and have somewhere to go, this would be a super good idea.
Aneeway, like their FB page here if you will.. I also like that it’s reasonably price considering the amount of conditioner I go through each time, ratio is 2:1 conditioner to shampoo each time.
In addition – Here are some tips on how to take care of your hair when doing sports
1. Wear a swimming cap (obviously) but I know, I know, some people including me hate to wear one cos I think it makes me like very kuku. But if you are stubborn like me, see no. 2
2. Always use conditioner and put more at the end rather than the roots cos that’s where the split ends and brittleness occur.
3. Apply leave in conditioner and use a nourishing spray on mist regularly. I always keep on in my bag at all times (which is why i am forever using big bags, too much stuff to carry around)
4. Eat a healthy diet of good fats like salmon, walnuts and more ( see full list from Webmd here ) The nutrients you eat help fortify hair follicles so that prevents breakages, hair loss and more.
5. Try not to use a hair dryer but let your hair dry naturally on its own. The heat will damage your hair if it’s too hot.
Did I miss out on anything? Hope your hair stays lovely….
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed it, I would love to hear from you guys! Share your tips or thoughts by leaving a comment or dropping me a line using the contact form or simply give me some encouragement by liking offshewent on Facebook here.